Sunday, June 28, 2015

Design Experiment 3

I will be honest, I have always associated Khan Academy with upper level middle grades and beyond. I have led my personal children to this site more than once. Therefore, I was blown away with what I found. I started by looking at the K-12 section (alarmed at that breakdown - what does Kindergarten have in common with seniors in high school?).  I then went to the counting section. Wow! Khan Academy has lessons on counting! There was a video, and a practice session. In addition, the practice session has a "hint" for each practice question. The scaffolding given to the learner is great. If you miss a question, the program suggests you watch the video. 

From a behaviorist standpoint, the program also gives points and badges. The points and badges allow you to build your character. The program also gives ideas and printables to help teachers to utilize the points in a reward system.

I love that Khan is proud of its status as a free resource and pledges to be so. I also appreciate teachers being able to track students. I will totally be utilizing this program in the future! The ability for my students who struggle to control their scaffolding and for me, as a teacher, to set up their learning, makes this a great asset. 

No comments:

Post a Comment